Thursday, May 13, 2010

Newbie!

Hi there,
Well, this is my brand new blog! I haven't really had a blog that I kept up with for a long while. I've tried various times with a personal blog but always end up letting it fall by the wayside.

A short introduction about myself. My name is Lois and I live outside of the Philadelphia area. I'm currently enrolled in Pitt's MLIS online program and trying to decide what I want to concentrate on. I work at a library in the Montgomery County system as support staff. I also schedule programs for all ages and am in charge of running them as well as all the publicity and our bulletin boards. Also, I work part time at Ulta Cosmetics. I graduated in 2008 with a BS in Digital Communications with a second major in Studio Art from Lebanon Valley College, where I also worked in their library in the Periodicals department (which is where my interest in library school has started).

I live with 4 cats, my boyfriend, my best friend, and soon my little brother who goes to West Chester University. My boyfriend and my best friend are in a band together (www.myspace.com/trunkstales) so I'm usually going to their shows/helping make merch/listening to them practice. I love music. I have a huge vinyl collection/cd collection. I go to shows a lot and have a lot of friend in bands that I love going to see. I'm a vegetarian and I love cooking and I have a large number of vegan/vegetarian cookbooks. As well as other books. Tons of books...

So far, I'm pretty excited / overwhelmed to start. Mostly overwhelmed because I feel a bit unprepared. I'm really excited I finally have my loans (which was an ordeal in itself) but I really am sort of worried that I don't quite understand how everything works yet. And also, this week my jobs overloaded me with hours (50!) and there is a lot of reading to do. A bit more than I expected for some unknown reason. However I feel a bit better because it seems like some of my classmates feel the same, overwhelmed and all. I have read the first chapter and did the activities / quizzes in Discovering Computers. I really found the time line interesting and it was a great refresher since I haven't really kept up too well with technology since my Digi. Comm. classes in college. It's also really neat to see the updates just since the book came out (the Kindle/other ebooks and the iPad came to mind). This made me laugh: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20004818-1.html?tag=mncol (I'm also a huge Star Wars fan). I also read a really interesting article about the iPad in Newsweek and I'll try to find a link to it for my next post. So for now, my blog is low on the class related topics and high on my personal life, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment